Access this feature from: Menu ▸ Quarantine
The Quarantine is an isolated space where you can safely store potentially dangerous files or send them to the AVG Threat Labs for analysis. Files in the Quarantine cannot run or access your system and data, so any malicious code contained within a file is unable to harm your PC.
By default, files are moved into the Quarantine in the following ways:
- If you run a predefined antivirus scan and it detects a suspicious file.
- If active protection components, such as Shields, detect a suspicious file.
In both of the above cases, AVG Antivirus runs a series of actions which may result in the file being moved to the Quarantine. Alternatively, you can move files into the Quarantine manually.
Quarantine contains a list of all files that have been quarantined and allows you to perform specific actions for each file.
Manage Quarantine files
To manage any file, tick the box next to the relevant file to select it. You can also tick Select All Viruses to perform an action on all files at once.
If you want to permanently remove the selected file(s), click Delete.
Click the down arrow on the Delete button to access the following actions:
- Add: asks you to locate and select the file to manually add it to the Quarantine. Manually added files are only copies. The original files are not automatically deleted and you should manually delete them if you think they are risky.
- Restore: copies the file(s) to the original location.
- Extract: copies the file(s) to a location specified by you.
- Scan: rescans the file based on current virus definitions.
- Send for analysis: sends the file(s) to the AVG Threat Labs for further analysis.
Submit files for analysis
We recommend you send the following file types to the AVG Threat Labs:
- Potential malware: files that AVG has not flagged as malware, but you believe may be malicious.
- False positive: files that AVG has flagged as malware, but you believe may be clean.
To submit a file to the AVG Threat Labs, follow these steps:
- Ensure the file has been added to Quarantine (either manually or by AVG.)
- Update the virus definitions.
- In Quarantine, select the file, then click the down arrow on the Delete button and select Scan to rescan the file.
- Select the file again, then click the down arrow on the Delete button and select Send for analysis.
- Provide the requested information about the file, then click Send.
The file is submitted to the AVG Threat Labs for further testing. In most cases, AVG Threat Labs processes the files they receive without sending a response to you.
Manage Quarantine settings
To manage Quarantine settings, go to Menu ▸ Settings ▸ General ▸ Maintenance ▸ Quarantine.
In your Quarantine settings, you can set:
- Maximum size of Quarantine: files that exceed this limit (256 MB by default) or the remaining space cannot be added to the Quarantine.
- Maximum size of file to be sent: files that exceed this limit (16384 KB by default) cannot be submitted to the AVG Threat Labs.