Access this feature from: Menu ▸ Data Safe
Data Safe enables you to create several virtual vaults to store valuable or sensitive data. The contents in your safes are encrypted and protected with a password of your choice so that your data is inaccessible without proper authorization.
The Data Safe screen contains an overview of your current safes.
Note: Data Safe is available in AVG Internet Security only.
Create a safe
To create a new safe, follow these steps:
- Click Create safe.
- Type a name for your safe to easily recognize it.
- Type a password to protect your safe with. The graphic indicator on the right displays the strength of your password. We recommend using both lowercase and uppercase letters, numbers, and special characters in your password. If you forget your password, there is no way to restore it.
- Click Show advanced options to configure other settings for your safe. You can adjust the following settings:
- Location: click the default path to change the location where you want your safe to be saved. By default, all safes are stored in the Documents folder. After creating a safe, you cannot change its location.
- Size: set a maximum size for your safe by moving the slider. The default size setting is 2 GB. Ensure that you have enough space on your hard drive, as the safe immediately uses the specified space even if no files are added.
- Desktop shortcut: tick Create desktop shortcut to add an icon of your safe to your desktop for easy access. This option is enabled by default.
- Click Create safe.
Data Safe creates an encrypted virtual disk on your PC. After creation, your safe is open to allow you to move and protect your files right away. Once your files are moved to the safe, go to Menu ▸ Data Safe in the AVG user interface, and click Close safe to lock your data.
Manage files in your safe
To manage files stored in any of your safes, follow these steps:
- Go to Menu ▸ Data Safe in the AVG user interface, and click Open Safe (if it is closed), or double-click the safe name icon on your desktop.
- Type your password to unlock the safe and click Open Safe. Your safe opens in a new window.
- Add new files or move files currently stored in your safe. To add new files, you can use the cut and paste method from the right-click context menu, or use keyboard shortcuts.
- Exit your safe by closing the window.
- Go to Menu ▸ Data Safe in the AVG user interface, and click Close safe to lock your data.
Note: If you only copied (not cut) your file to your safe, the file is still unprotected and accessible from the original location. Delete it from the original location manually to ensure that your file is stored only in your safe.
Manage your safe settings
You can access your safe via the AVG user interface from Menu ▸ Data Safe, or directly from your desktop by double-clicking the safe name icon. Click the gear icon in the upper-right corner of any of your safe tiles to manage the following settings:
- Change password: allows you to change your password. You need to type your current password first. If you forgot your password, there is no way to restore it.
- Change size: allows you to allocate space on the disk for your safe. You need to type your current password first. Ensure that you have enough space on your hard drive, as the safe immediately uses the specified space even if no files are added.
- Create shortcut on desktop: creates a shortcut icon so that you can easily access your safe from your desktop.
- Delete safe: deletes the entire safe, including all files contained within. If you delete a safe, all files stored in it are irreversibly deleted.
If you want to easily access your safe and you do not see the safe icon on your desktop, you can create a desktop shortcut manually:
- Go to Menu ▸ Data Safe in the AVG user interface.
- Click the gear icon in the upper-right corner of your safe tile.
- Select Create shortcut on desktop.
Date Safe provides you with a secure space to protect your data with password. To ensure maximum protection, your password cannot be restored if forgotten.